Sunday, August 5, 2012

Stripe Painting Made Easy

I have been loving all of the stripes I have seen, and wanted to paint some in my guest room, but I am a bit lazy and hate taping with a passion.  So I wanted to tape as little as possible and came up with a genius, if I do say so myself, solution to only tape once.

1. Decide what size you want your stripes, then overestimate and freehand painting those stripes on the wall.  This may look frightening, but it works!


 2.  Measure out and tape off your stripes.  To make sure they are level, I duct taped my level to a yard stick.  Pretty high class


3.  Choose a color for the stripes, I used Martha Stewarts Sharkey Grey, its a perfect mix of grey with a brownish undertone to go with my wood furniture. 



4.  Lastly, my favorite part, peel off the tape and stand back in awe!!  Now I just need to fill up those walls.

(Bedding and pillows purchased from Target last year)

10 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous! Well done - I love your shortcut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat steps. Gorgeous outcome. Visiting from Kim's. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but can you explain how this is less work? You have to tape anyway and they have to be level which is the hard part, so I'm just wondering? I'm sure it's me and I'm missing something. Hope you don't mind my asking! Visting from SSS. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Course! It is less work if you want to use 2 new colors on the wall. Usually you would tape paint on stripe, then re-tape and paint the other side of the stripe to get a crisp line. This way you are only taping once.

      Delete
  4. Love those giant stripes! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip- I will have to share with my husband as I convince him we MUST have stripes in the nursery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This way you're only having to "be careful" on 2 sides of the tape, not 4.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job. I'm debating if I want to stencil the wall behind our bed. I've already stenciled the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! It looks great with your furniture! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess what I'm doing this very weekend? Painting stripes! I love how yours turned out! Crossing my fingers ours turn out as good as yours did! You've got such a cute blog, I'm off to check out more of it!
    Stacia@http://feathersandsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete